ICAI preparing final report in Satyam case
Hyderabad: A high-level disciplinary committee of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) will soon visit Hyderabad to study issues relating to the corporate governance, non-adherence to the accounting practises, role of independent directors and other stakeholders in the Satyam Computers case, according to ICAI
president Uttam Prakash Agarwal.
ICAI, the regulatory body of chartered accountants in India, was now preparing its final report on the Satyam Computers case after having submitted its preliminary report to the Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Agarwal told reporters on the sidelines of the 41st regional conference Jnana Yagna of the ICAI here on Saturday.
The Satyam case investigation is a priority for us. ``It will be completed before February next year, when my term as the president ends``, Agarwal added.
The report by the disciplinary committee would also be submitted to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs for necessary action against the auditors.
The ICAI president refused to reveal what action would be recommended against the erring chartered accountants who
audited the Satyam accounts.
Agarwal said S Gopalakrishnan, one of the partners and
auditors of PriceWaterhouse who signed the financial statement
of the scam-hit Satyam Computers, has been stripped of all
non-standing committee posts two weeks ago.
Gopalakrishnan would, however, continue as the ICAI
council member, Agarwal said.
ICAI has now asked all its members to look for external
evidence before certifying the accounting statements of
companies to ensure that similar incidents do not recur.
ICAI is also trying to bring about an awareness among
its members on International Financial Reporting Standards
that would come into effect from April 2011.
Earlier, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Rajasekhara
Reddy who inaugurated the two-day event said the Satyam case
was a systemic failure and asked the chartered accountants to
be more vigilant in giving certificates to the companies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India