ICICI Bank accused of violating RBI guidelines: Pranab
New Delhi: ICICI Bank was twice issued letter of warning or advisory note in last two years for violating Reserve Bank of India guidelines, Lok Sabha was informed on Friday.
In 2007-08, ICICI Bank was accused for violating RBI guidelines/directives relating to opening of deposit accounts,
which led to a fictitious accounts being opened by fraudsters
at the bank`s Patna branch.
The bank was issued `Advisory Note` in December 2007 and a Letter of Warning in April 2008 for its irregular dealings in securities in Hong Kong, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said in a written reply.
Besides ICICI Bank, some other banks including Bank of Baroda, Dena Bank, HSBC Bank and Centurion Bank of Punjab Ltd were issued letters of displeasure by the RBI for violating FEMA guidelines or with regard to opening of deposit accounts, the minister said.
In another written reply, he said RBI performs various functions which, inter-alia, include monetary management of the country, management of foreign exchange and domestic debt of the government, regulation and supervision of banks, financial institutions and non-banking finance companies.
These functions are derived from the provisions of various statutes such as the RBI Act, 1934, The Indian Coinage Act, 1906, The Banking Regulation Act, 1949 and others.
Mukherjee said the objective of assigning these responsibilities to RBI is to have a coordinated approach towards orderly growth of banking and other financial services, strengthening financial system of the country, promoting synchronised development and maintenance of foreign exchange market in the country.
He, however, said that "as and when any such issue of conflict of interest come to the fore, appropriate remedial measure is taken to remove the conflict, depending upon the state of preparedness of the system."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!