IHF to conduct junior championship in Pune
New Delhi: Re-recognised by the Sports Ministry, the Indian Hockey Federation today announced that it will organise the junior national championship from September 20-30 in Pune.
It will be the first IHF tournament since the Delhi High court lifted a suspension on the body and asked the Sports Ministry to recognise it as the sole authority for running the sport in the country.
This would also be the first time when the championship would be conducted simultaneously for both boys and girls.
IHF and the Indian Women’s Hockey Federation (IWHF) had merged to form a single body after the government directions last month.
IHF chief KPS Gill said the tournament will be an ideal platform to scout fresh talent.
“It is an important tournament as talented youngsters emerge. And although the championship did not take place in the last 2-3 years, this is the right time to revive it,” Gill told reporters.
The last edition of the junior national championship was held in 2007 in Chennai.
All the affiliated States and Institutions have been asked to confirm their entries by September 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- DNA: Analysis of the plight of Onion farmers in India
- Oil prices dip as Iran says no plan to freeze output
- IMF said Greece needs 'unconditional' debt relief from EU creditors
- Man who wanted to “shake hands with lions” arrested!
- Manipur HSLC Results 2016 : (manresult.nic.in) Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016, BSEM 10th (HSLC) Results to be declared today
- President seeks more information on NEET Ordinance