I`m an Indian, says Anand; accepts Sibal`s sorry
New Delhi: HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Tuesday apologised to chess wizard Vishwanathan Anand over the
controversy on conferring an honorary doctorate to him and
made it clear that his nationality was never questioned by the
Anand has now agreed to accept the honour, Sibal said.
“I’m an Indian. I was trained in Spain but always retained my Indian passport. I accept HRD minister Kapil Sibal’s apology, will accept the doctorate,” Anand said, putting the unfortunate incident behind him like a true champion.
In the wake of media reports that Anand was denied the
honour proposed by the University of Hyderabad after the HRD
Ministry raised questions over his nationality, Sibal spoke to
him over telephone and expressed regrets.
"I told him that the honorary degree could be conferred
today itself. He indicated to me that he had some problem
about this evening. Then I told him any date of his
convenience for the function was okay. He has accepted it," he
told a hurriedly-convened press conference here.
Replying to questions on reports that the ministry had
raised doubts over the nationality of Anand, who had made
Spain his second home for some years now but holds an Indian
passport, he said, "There is no question, there is no issue.
There is no question of nationality (about Anand)."
He said he had cleared the file on Anand`s name on May 22
but there were five other names. "When I went to the Visitor
it came back to me with reference to an individual. Then the
university event was over. This issue arose when another file
came regarding a foreigner. If I had known I would have put my
"We have dealt with the matter as expeditiously as
possible. It is for Vishwanathan Anand to decide. He will be
conferred the doctorate. He has accepted it," Sibal said.
"Procedural error has led to problems regarding doctorate
to Anand...immediate corrective action was taken...I told him
that we are sorry for what has transpired," he said.
"It should not take time (to implement such decisions)
but sometime it happens," he said.
Hailing Anand for his achievements, Sibal said,
"Vishwanathan Anand has done India proud like Arjun Atwal (who
won a top professional golf championship in the US yesterday).
We should be proud of those who climb the heights of global
Coinciding with the International Conference on Maths
currently on here, the University was planning to honour Anand
along with Harvard University mathematician David Mumford.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?