IMF begins borrowing from Japan, other countries
Washington: The International Monetary
Fund said that it has started drawing on loans offered by Japan,
Canada and Norway as an increased number of countries have
suddenly turned to the Washington-based lender for aid amid
the global financial crisis.
The IMF said on Tuesday that it has borrowed 1.287 billion
in special drawing rights -- the IMF`s own quasi-currency --
from Japan (USD 2 billion), 128.7 million SDR from Canada and
59.4 million SDR from Norway.
Last November, Japan pledged up to USD 100 billion to the
IMF`s war chest to allow the agency to continue lending to
countries hit by the crisis that erupted earlier.
"The fund greatly appreciates the cooperative spirit
that Japan, Canada and Norway have shown in ensuring that the
fund has adequate resources to be able to provide effective
balance of payments assistance during the current global
economic and financial crisis," it said in a statement.
Other countries have also pledged to provide additional
money to the IMF as it works to increase its lending capacity
by an additional USD 250 billion.
We expect to have a broader pool of lenders to draw
upon as new agreements are finalised over the next few
months," the IMF said, adding, "Additional borrowing will
further strengthen the fund`s lending capacity."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly