IMF begins borrowing from Japan, other countries
Washington: The International Monetary
Fund said that it has started drawing on loans offered by Japan,
Canada and Norway as an increased number of countries have
suddenly turned to the Washington-based lender for aid amid
the global financial crisis.
The IMF said on Tuesday that it has borrowed 1.287 billion
in special drawing rights -- the IMF`s own quasi-currency --
from Japan (USD 2 billion), 128.7 million SDR from Canada and
59.4 million SDR from Norway.
Last November, Japan pledged up to USD 100 billion to the
IMF`s war chest to allow the agency to continue lending to
countries hit by the crisis that erupted earlier.
"The fund greatly appreciates the cooperative spirit
that Japan, Canada and Norway have shown in ensuring that the
fund has adequate resources to be able to provide effective
balance of payments assistance during the current global
economic and financial crisis," it said in a statement.
Other countries have also pledged to provide additional
money to the IMF as it works to increase its lending capacity
by an additional USD 250 billion.
We expect to have a broader pool of lenders to draw
upon as new agreements are finalised over the next few
months," the IMF said, adding, "Additional borrowing will
further strengthen the fund`s lending capacity."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!