New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday directed the city government to implement within 15 days all proposals to eradicate the menace of begging.
Pulling up the Social Welfare Ministry for its failure
to take the steps, as proposed by the amicus curaie and later
approved by the same court, a Division Bench headed by Justice
Sanjay Kishan Kaul sought for a fresh affidavit from the
government and posted the matter for hearing in August.
Appearing for the government, counsel Mukta Gupta said
two mobile courts are ready to function but the High Court has
not appointed Magistrates for those courts.
"As soon as the judges are appointed, the courts will
function," said the lawyer.
The Bench wanted to know why the government failed to
deploy police personnel at the traffic signals in the city`s
no-tolerance zones to prevent begging.
The court also sought to know from the government
about the steps to rehabilitate the beggars so far.
Earlier, the Bench had accepted the suggestions of V P
Chaudhary, amicus curaie, that the city should have at least
mobile courts to dispose of begging-related cases on the spot.
Suggesting that the NCT government actively interact with
neighbouring states to stop the beggars` menace, the amicus
said most of the beggars in Delhi have been entering from
states like Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya
Pradesh, Punjab and Bihar.