Impose duty on imported capital goods: FICCI
New Delhi: The government should impose duty on imports of capital goods as the domestic industry is facing cost disadvantage of 11-22 percent, a FICCI study said.
Exemptions from import duties for various projects have led to over five times increase in India`s imports from USD 6.5 billion in 2003-04 to USD 30 billion in 2008-09, it said.
"...these (capital goods) imports are now hurting the domestic industry and have captured significant market share of various capital goods in the country," FICCI said.
As a result of various exemptions like zero customs duty on capital goods imports and other disability factors, the cost disadvantage to the domestic industry as compared to foreign suppliers comes in range of 11-22 percent, it said.
"The government should impose additional duty equal to Central Sales Tax\Value Added Tax on all project goods imports in view of the CST\VAT paid by local manufacturers for industrial projects...," it said.
The study says that China has surpassed Germany as the largest exporter of capital goods to India.
To help the Indian industry against duty free imports, the study has suggested excise duty exemption for the domestic supplier of equipments to mega power plants.
FICCI also sought 15 percent price preference in private sector mega power projects for domestic manufacturers of capital goods. Presently, this preference is given only in case of public sector projects.
The chamber also demanded that requirement of defence and other strategic sectors need to be sourced from domestic machine tool manufacturers only. Currently, only low-end machines are being procured locally.
"The government should bring out a policy framework for promoting capital goods park and clusters... (as these) are required to address the infrastructure issues for the sector," FICCI said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!