Impressive Sushil wins gold in Asian Wrestling
New Delhi: Olympic bronze medallist Sushil Kumar lived up to his reputation as he bagged a gold in men`s66kg freestyle on the second day of the Senior Asian Wrestling
Championships here today.
Sushil, also a four-time Commonwealth Championship gold
medallist, produced an impressive performance to toy with Kim
Dae Sung of Korea in straight periods 4-0, 2-0 at the Indira
Gandhi Indoor Sports Complex.
With Sushil winning the yellow gold, India`s medal tally
in the championships swelled to two gold. Narshing Yadav had
won a gold in the 74kg freestyle yesterday.
"It feels good to be the Asian Champion. This win gives a
boost to my confidence before important events like World
Championship and the Commonwealth Games. It was a tough fight
in the finals, but I was lucky to get the first grip, from
where I never looked back," said Sushil after his win.
Other Indians, however, fell outside the medal bracket.
Rajiv Tomar finished fifth in the 120kg freestyle after
losing to Iran`s Mohd Azars in straight periods 0-1, 1-1 in
Anuj Kumar was also beaten in 84kg freestyle category by
Zhang Feng of China in the second round, while Rahul Aware
lost to Lee Woo Ju of Korea in the second round of the 55kg
It was a close bout in the 84 kg category for the wounded
Iranian wrestler Lashgari Ehsan who defended his title
outclassing Semonov S from Kazakhstan. Lashgari went down to
Semenov in the first round 6-0 but came back strongly winning
the next two rounds with a score of 1-0 and 2-0.
Earlier Lashgari got wounded on his head wrestling
against Zang Feng of China in the semifinal. Lashgari won the
bout in straight rounds with a score of 6-0 and 3-1.
Japanese Yomoto Shinichi bagged gold in the 55kg category
defeating Uzbek Kurbanov Nasibullo 1-0 and 1-0. Lee Woo Ju of
Korea and Yang Gyong Ji of the People`s Republic of Korea were
the bronze medallists in the category.
In the 120kg category, Mutalimov Marid of Kazakhstan
defeated Mongolian G Chuluunbat in straight rounds to bag the
Women freestyle events start tomorrow with Alka Tomar
(48kg), Babita (51kg), Geetika Jakhar (51kg), Geeta (55lg) and
Anmol (55kg) representing India in the test event for the
October 3-14 Commonwealth Games here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch