In post Ronaldo era, Fergie forced to change tactics
Manchester: With star player Cristiano Ronaldo switching over allegiance to Spanish giants Real Madrid, Sir Alex Ferguson admitted that he would be forced to change the way Manchester United will play in the forthcoming season.
Ferguson, who used to set up his team with three central midfielders last season to allow Ronaldo a free role, helped the Portugal winger blast over 60 goals in the last two seasons.
Ferguson was credited of getting the best out of Ronaldo, while keeping a solid defensive base.
But after Ronaldo`s world record 80 million pounds sale, Ferguson wants more goals from all his players and he has been experimenting with different combinations in midfield and attack.
In an interview posted on the club website, Ferguson said: "Obviously Cristiano is a big loss in terms of the goals he gave us.”
"But we will just have to find the goals from somewhere else and our tactics will adjust accordingly. Fans will see us playing a slightly different style of football this season."
Ferguson has already used Wayne Rooney more as a central striker, rather than playing him out wide as he did last season.
"Usually you look to score about 100 goals in all competitions, so we are aiming for that again," Ferguson said. "If we are going to win the league again or do well in Europe we certainly need players to step up.”
"Going back a few years, we could always guarantee goals from Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and David Beckham, who always pitched in with about 10 a season.”
"Those goals from midfield have dried up a little in recent years, so we have to address that.”
"I will be looking to Park Ji-Sung, Nani, (Luis Antonio) Valencia - even (Danny) Welbeck and (Federico) Macheda - to contribute 40 goals between them. The defenders will contribute a few from set-pieces too."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- Srinagar-Muzaffarbad bus service to resume tomorrow
- Congress to raise Kandhamal killings in Parliament
- Centre asks states to remove taxes on pulses and edible oils