Incredible India? Dip in foreign tourist arrivals
New Delhi: Notwithstanding the high voltage overseas road shows and Incredible India campaign, the decline in foreign tourist arrivals in the country continues.
The number of foreign tourists visiting the country in September this year was 3,17,308 as against 3,30,874 for the same period last year, a decline of 4.1 per cent.
In August also there was a decrease in foreign tourists arrivals. While 3,57,761 foreigners visited the country in August this year, their number was 3,91,423 during the same
period last year.
"There are several factors behind the decline in foreign tourist arrivals. While the global slowdown is one of the major reasons, the swine flu scare and travel advisories issued by the US and other countries have also affected the arrivals," said a senior Tourism Ministry official.
The ministry had launched a series of roadshows overseas including in the US, Australia, Dubai and Europe in recent months to woo tourists and is hopeful that they would
pay rich dividends in coming months.
"We are expecting a good show in the coming tourist season," said the official.
The total number of foreign tourists who visited the country during January to September this year was 3,574,595 against 3,871,163 for the same period last year.
Though there has been a decline in foreign tourist arrivals, India`s foreign exchange earnings have increased during this time. The country earned Rs 3,798 crores as foreign exchange from tourists in September this year against Rs 3,143 crores in the same period last year.
The total forex earnings during January to September this year was Rs 37,589 crores against Rs 36,464 crores for the same period last year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living