Independent is DUSU chief; ABVP, NSUI bag one seat each
New Delhi: Manoj Chaudhary, an independent, was on Saturday declared the new president of the Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) following elections in which nominees linked to the Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) were barred from contesting for the top post.
Chaudhary is a student of the Department of Buddhist Studies.
Kirti Wadhera from the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) won the post of vice-president and Arshdeep Kaur from the National Students Union of India (NSUI) was elected the secretary, a Delhi University official said. Wadhera studies at Miranda House and Kaur is with the Law Faculty.
Anupriya Tyagi, another independent, will be the new joint secretary of DUSU. She is a student of Hansraj College.
Elections to DUSU took place Friday. The vote count began Saturday morning in the Civil Lines area in north Delhi. Twenty-nine students were in the fray for the four posts.
Some candidates, including from ABVP and NSUI, which traditionally dominate DUSU, were barred from contesting for violating rules on election expenditure.
Six candidates were found spending more money than the fixed amount of Rs 5,000 per person, using cars and organising rallies for their election campaign.
All this was deemed to be in violation of the recommendations of a panel headed by former chief election commissioner JM Lyngdoh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow