Independiente stopped in tracks at Gimnasia
Buenos Aires: Colombian striker Marco Perez scored twice as Gimnasia-La Plata halted Independiente`s charge towards the Argentine Clausura championship.
Perez scored midway through each half to help Gimnasia to a 2-1 victory over Independiente, whose midfielder Federico Mancuello hit an equaliser five minutes before halftime.
Independiente, who had been unbeaten in seven matches, have 27 points from 13 games, three points ahead of second-placed Godoy Cruz who visit Racing Club on Thursday.
Title holders Banfield beat San Lorenzo 2-0 to hand their new coach Sebastian Mendez, appointed after Diego Simeone resigned at the weekend, a losing start.
It was the eighth defeat in 13 games for San Lorenzo, one of several ailing giants of the Argentine game including Boca Juniors, River Plate and Racing Club.
Midfielder Roberto Battion put Banfield ahead after 12 minutes, heading home Walter Erviti`s corner, and striker Ruben Ramirez converted a penalty two minutes before halftime.
Banfield are joint third with Argentinos Juniors, away to Rosario Central on Thursday, on 22 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family