Independiente stopped in tracks at Gimnasia
Buenos Aires: Colombian striker Marco Perez scored twice as Gimnasia-La Plata halted Independiente`s charge towards the Argentine Clausura championship.
Perez scored midway through each half to help Gimnasia to a 2-1 victory over Independiente, whose midfielder Federico Mancuello hit an equaliser five minutes before halftime.
Independiente, who had been unbeaten in seven matches, have 27 points from 13 games, three points ahead of second-placed Godoy Cruz who visit Racing Club on Thursday.
Title holders Banfield beat San Lorenzo 2-0 to hand their new coach Sebastian Mendez, appointed after Diego Simeone resigned at the weekend, a losing start.
It was the eighth defeat in 13 games for San Lorenzo, one of several ailing giants of the Argentine game including Boca Juniors, River Plate and Racing Club.
Midfielder Roberto Battion put Banfield ahead after 12 minutes, heading home Walter Erviti`s corner, and striker Ruben Ramirez converted a penalty two minutes before halftime.
Banfield are joint third with Argentinos Juniors, away to Rosario Central on Thursday, on 22 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail