India beat Brazil in the Snooker World Cup
New Delhi: India rounded off their league
engagements in Snooker World Cup by registering a 4-1 victory
over Brazil in the last group `C` match at Bangkok Convention
Centre in Thailand.
However, despite the win, India failed to qualify for the
quarterfinals, finishing third in the group with nine points
ahead of Belgium (8) and Brazil (6).
England and Northern Ireland qualified for the last-eight
stage as the top two teams from Group C.
India got USD 15,000 in prize money for finishing third
in their group.
India, represented by seven-time world champion Pankaj
Advani and Asian Games bronze medallist Aditya Mehta, finished
with two victories and as many defeats in a five-team group.
Wales and Republic of Ireland (group A), China and
Australia (group B), Scotland and Hong Kong (group D) also
qualified for the quarterfinals after finishing the league
engagements on top from their respective groups.
The group phase ended last night.
In the match against Brazil, national snooker champion
Advani won the opener against Fabio Luersen while Mehta got
the better of Noel Rodrigues.
Indian cueists again reigned supreme on the green baize
when the duo of Advani and Mehta won the doubles encounter to
seal the issue in their favour.
Advani defeated Luersen in the reverse singles but Mehta
tasted defeat at the hands of Rodrigues in the last frame.
Apart from Brazil, India had defeated Belgium 3-2 in
their second encounter of the USD 7,00,000 invitational
tournament while they lost to Northern Ireland and England.
The quarter-finals will be played later in the evening
on Saturday while semi-finals and final will be played on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday