India beat Pakistan to defend volleyball gold in SAG
Dhaka: Defending champions India made a
remarkable comeback from a set deficit to beat arch-rivals
Pakistan 3-1 and claim the gold medal in volleyball at the
11th South Asian Games here on Thursday.
India beat Pakistan 23-25, 25-23, 25-16 in the summit
clash at the Soharwardy Indoor Stadium in Mirpur.
Sri Lanka won the bronze after beating Maldives 25-15,
25-16, 25-18 in the third-fourth place play-off match.
Pakistani spikers made positive start in the final and
capitalised on Indian defence`s tactical mistakes to pocket
the opening set.
But India turned the table in the next by organising its
defence and committing less unforced errors.
Sanjay Kumar and Naveen Raja Joseph came up with some
telling smashes and displayed better blocking to enable the
title holders drew parity by winning the second set 25-23.
Locked at set apiece, there was no stopping India as they
rode on confidence, and Sube Singh and P S Srikant`s exploit
at the nets to run away with the deciding set and the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical