India beat Pakistan to defend volleyball gold in SAG
Dhaka: Defending champions India made a
remarkable comeback from a set deficit to beat arch-rivals
Pakistan 3-1 and claim the gold medal in volleyball at the
11th South Asian Games here on Thursday.
India beat Pakistan 23-25, 25-23, 25-16 in the summit
clash at the Soharwardy Indoor Stadium in Mirpur.
Sri Lanka won the bronze after beating Maldives 25-15,
25-16, 25-18 in the third-fourth place play-off match.
Pakistani spikers made positive start in the final and
capitalised on Indian defence`s tactical mistakes to pocket
the opening set.
But India turned the table in the next by organising its
defence and committing less unforced errors.
Sanjay Kumar and Naveen Raja Joseph came up with some
telling smashes and displayed better blocking to enable the
title holders drew parity by winning the second set 25-23.
Locked at set apiece, there was no stopping India as they
rode on confidence, and Sube Singh and P S Srikant`s exploit
at the nets to run away with the deciding set and the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round