India beat Pakistan to defend volleyball gold in SAG
Dhaka: Defending champions India made a
remarkable comeback from a set deficit to beat arch-rivals
Pakistan 3-1 and claim the gold medal in volleyball at the
11th South Asian Games here on Thursday.
India beat Pakistan 23-25, 25-23, 25-16 in the summit
clash at the Soharwardy Indoor Stadium in Mirpur.
Sri Lanka won the bronze after beating Maldives 25-15,
25-16, 25-18 in the third-fourth place play-off match.
Pakistani spikers made positive start in the final and
capitalised on Indian defence`s tactical mistakes to pocket
the opening set.
But India turned the table in the next by organising its
defence and committing less unforced errors.
Sanjay Kumar and Naveen Raja Joseph came up with some
telling smashes and displayed better blocking to enable the
title holders drew parity by winning the second set 25-23.
Locked at set apiece, there was no stopping India as they
rode on confidence, and Sube Singh and P S Srikant`s exploit
at the nets to run away with the deciding set and the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Wow! Google Duo now available in India to make free video calls
- In Goa, Arvind Kejriwal says AAP has no money to fight elections
- Turkish soldier killed in clash with Kurdish militants - security sources
- Amitabh Bachchan set to return as the 'angry man' in 'Sarkar 3'
- Has somebody blocked you on WhatsApp? Know how to unblock yourself