India begin controversy-ridden Caribbean tour
Port of Spain: The Indian football team would look to leave behind the controversies surrounding their Caribbean tour and concentrate on the game when they take on Trinidad & Tobago in an international friendly on Saturday.
The tour itself was in doubt with the clubs refusing to release their players before they relented and then it was reduced to a two-match affair instead of three after coach Armando Colaco cancelling the first game against Barbados in protest against the cold reception by the local organisers.
With 65 places above India at 88th in FIFA rankings and having qualified in 2006 World Cup, Trinidad & Tobago start as firm favourites at the Hasely Crawford Stadium tomorrow but the visitors will have the advantage of having played more international matches in recent times.
The `Socca Warriors` under German coach Otto Pfister has not played any international match since November last year and tomorrow`s match would be their first big match before the
CONCACAF qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup.
India, on the other hand, have played four matches after Colaco took over the reigns -- against Maldives, Qatar and two against United Arab Emirates.
India are playing against Trinidad & Tobago for the first time in 27 years after their 1-2 loss in the three-match series under the captaincy of Parminder Singh.
Colaco knew the credentials of Trinidad & Tobago, one of the strongest sides in the CONCACAF, but said he was confident his young team will give a competitive performance against their opponents on Sunday.
"We are a youthful team in the midst of a transition period, so anything that we can take from the game, we will. We are hoping that everything goes well because our Caribbean tour ends with an encounter against Guyana," Colaco said.
"We have not done any research on the playing style of the opponents but considers them a formidable side, as they had qualified for the 2006 World Cup," said Colaco.
Striker Sunil Chhetri said his side have prepared well for tomorrow`s match and they are ready for the challenge.
"We are very excited. It`s a very big match. It`s not every day we play teams higher ranked than us. It`s going to be a good test," Chhetri said.
"It`s been a long national camp for a month and a half and it`s a good way to see where we`ve reached. I`m looking forward to it as a player and the whole team is anticipating the match. I`m sure it`s going to be a great match. India will definitely give 100 per cent," said the ex-Kansas City Wizards player.
T&T coach Pfister has named only the home-based players available as tomorrow`s friendly is not on a FIFA match date.
The German has selected some players who did not take part in the 2010 Caribbean Cup. Veteran midfielder Densill Theobald has been named as captain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'