India book quarterfinal berth beating Thailand 2-3
New Delhi: Saina Nehwal suffered a shock defeat to Inthanon Ratchanok but a determined India rode on P Kashyap and pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa`s stunning wins to enter the quarterfinals of the Sudirman Cup with a 3-2 victory over Thailand in the second tie of group C in Qingdao, China on Monday.
India, who lost to Chinese Taipie 2-3 in their opener yesterday, pushed their higher-ranked opponents all the way in the mixed team competition and despite Saina`s unexpected loss, cruised to the knock-out stage for the first time since the Sudirman Cup started in 1989.
World number 43 pair of Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas gave India a positive start after seeing off Bodin Issara and Maneepong Jongjit, ranked 125, 21-13 21-17 in the men`s doubles in the first rubber.
But Saina, who is ranked fourth in the world, couldn`t make it count and lost 14-21 20-22 to world number 18 Inthanon in a 36-minute clash in the women`s singles to lose the lead.
Locked 1-1, Kashyap was handed an uphill task of putting across world number six Ponsana and the Andra Pradesh lad didn`t disappoint as he notched up a stunning 12-21 21-18 21-16 victory in an hour long clash to bring India back into the hunt, providing a 2-1 lead.
Inspired by Kashyap`s stunning win, Commonwealth Games gold medallist pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa, ranked 32nd, also saw off the challenge from world number eight Duang Anong Aroonkesorn and Kunchala Voravichitchaikul 21-18 15-21 21-19 in the fourth rubber to help India clinch the tie convincingly in the end.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living