India complete European tour with draw Vs Holland
Amsteelven: The Indian hockey team ended its European tour on a positive note by rallying to hold European champions The Netherlands to a 3-3 draw in the second and final Test at the Wagener Stadium.
India, trailing 1-2 at half-time, made a gallant turnaround to deny the world number four Dutch their second straight win ahead of the Euro-Nations Cup starting here next Saturday.
The goal scorers for India were Gurvinder Chandi (4th) and captain Sandeep Singh (59th and 68th), while Rogier Hofman (14th), Teun de Nooijer (16th) and Ronald Brouwer (39th minute) netted for Holland.
India began aggressively and earned their first penalty corner when Rajpal Singh was obstructed by Robert van der Horst.
Gurvinder Chandi slotted home in the fourth minute from a rebound offered by Dutch goalkeeper Jaap Stockmann.
The Dutch swung back with crafty midfield maneuvers from Laurence Docherty and Geert-Jan Derikx and attacks by Jeroen Hertzberger and Rob Reckers.
They were awarded a penalty corner when Arjun Halappa carried the ball in the eighth minute, but luckily for India, Adrian D`souza warded off Taeke Taekema`s effort diving to his right.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez