India continue its domination in Badminton events at SAG
Dhaka: After putting up a dominant how in the
team events, Indian shuttlers asserted their supremacy in
singles also as their top players advanced to the semifinals
of many events in the 11th South Asian Games here on Tuesday.
In the men`s singles, top seed Chetan Anand got the
better of Mohammad Rais Uddin of Bangladesh 21-19, 21-10 to
set up a last-four clash with Dinuka Karunaratne of Sri Lanka.
Second seeded RMV Guru Sai Dutt lived up to his
reputation, beating Lanka`s nine time national champion Niluka
Karunaratne 21-12, 21-13.
He will take on Pakistani Ahsan Qamar in the men`s
In the women`s singles, top seeded Sayali Gokhale beat
Achini Ratnasiri or Sri Lanka 21-13, 23-21 to set up a
semifinal battle with Palwasha Bashir of Pakistan.
National champion Trupti Murgunde, seeded second,
defeated Sara Devi Tamang of Nepal 21-7, 21-15 to set up a
last four battle against Thilini Jayasinghe of Sri Lanka.
In the women`s doubles, top seeded duo of Aparna Balan
and Shruti Kurien thrashed Pooja Shrestha and Sara Devi Tamang
of Nepal 21-8, 21-8.
The Indian duo will take on Achini Ratnasiri/ Upuli
Samanthika of Sri Lanka in the semis.
P C Thulasi and Ashwini Ponnappa beat Sujana Shrestha and
Nangsal Tamang of Nepal 21-4, 21-7 to set up a semifinal clash
against Renu C Hettiarachchige and Nadeesha M Gayanthi (Sri
India have already bagged gold medals in the men`s and
women`s team events.
In the men`s doubles, top seeded K T Rupesh Kumar &
Sanave Thomas beat Mohammad Ajfaan Rasheed and Hassan Afsheen
Shaheem of Maldives 21-11, 21-11. They will take on Azam
Rizwan and Kasif Sulehri of Pakistan in the last four.
Second seeds Anand and V Diju beat Jamil Ahmed Dulal and
Mohammad Anamul Haque of Bangladesh 21-7, 21-12. The duo will
next face Rajitha Dahanayaka and Hasitha Chanaka Manani Hewa
In the mixed doubles, Aparna Balan & Sanave Thomas beat
Pooja Shrestha & Ratnajit Tamang of Nepal 21-4, 21-4 while
Ashwini Ponnappa & Diju Valiyaveetil beat Palwasha Bashir and
Rizwan Azam (Pak) 21-10, 21-9.
The duo of Ashwini and Diju will take on Shapla
Aktar/Rasel Kabir of Bangladesh.
Aparna/Sanave will face Renu C Hettiarachchige andd
Niluka Karunaratne of Sri Lanka in the semis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next