India dominate in shooting; win nine medals, including 5 gold
Dhaka: Continuing with their blazing form,
Indian shooters had a rich haul of five gold, three silver and
one bronze medal on the sixth day in the 11th South Asian
Games on Wednesday.
India thus have won seven gold, four silver and three
bronze medals in shooting.
On the opening day of the shooting event yesterday, the
Indians bagged two gold, one silver and two bronze medals.
The Indians shot to glory in five of the six categories
today as they dominated in the competition held at the range
at National Shooting Complex at Gulshan here.
The gold medals came through Imran Hasan Khan (10m air
rifle), Kuheli Ganguli (50m rifle prone) and Sonia Rai (25m
India also won two team gold medals through the women`s
25m pistol comprising Sonia, Sushma Rana and Divya Singh, and
women`s 50m rifle prone trio of Kuheli, Ruby Garg and Hema
The Indian shooters made a clean sweep in the women`s 50m
rifle prone individual and 25m pistol events taking all the
three pole positions.
Sonia shot 576 for the gold medal, while Divya Singh
(563) finished second in women`s 25m pistol.
Just one point adrift, Sushma Rana had to settle for
bronze as the Indian 25m pistol trio clinched top three spots.
The combined score of 1701 ensured the trio a team gold.
The Lankan trio of Abeymanna, Wejerathne and Pabawathi
finished way behind with a total score of 1645 for the silver.
Ecstatic with the superb show by the Indians, coach
Tejinder Singh Dhillon told PTI, "This is our second string
side as the top shooters are busy preparing for the World Cup
and Commonwealth Games.
"I am really impressed with the young talents. This is a
first major tournament for Rubi and Divya and the good show
will give them confidence in their career ahead," he said.
In the women`s 50m rifle prone individual, veteran Indian
Kuheli shot an impressive 589 for the gold medal while Rubi
was two points behind for the sliver. K G D Pradeepika (582)
of Sri Lanka took the bronze.
The trio of Kuheli, Rubi and Hema logged 1753 points en
route to the team gold in the women`s 50m rifle prone.
Sri Lankan trio of Pradeepika, RPDNPW Kumari and HKRP
Ramani (1739) took silver, while Bangladesh`s Sarmin Shilpa,
Sabrina Sultana and Tripti Datta (1723) won the bronze.
Earlier, Army shooter Imran hogged the limelight with a
score of 697.3 to win gold in the men`s 10m air rifle.
Bangladesh duo of Asif Hossain Khan (694.4) and Shovon
Chowhdury (690.3) took the silver and bronze respectively.
But in the men`s 10m air rifle team event, the Indian
trio of Khan, Satyender Singh and Dhirender Singh Jamwal
finished behind the Bangladeshi side to settle for silver.
The Indians scored 1764, while Bangladesh trio of Asif
Hossain Khan, Abdulla Hel Baki and Shovon took the gold with
an accumulative score of 1775.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered