India dominates world of films: TOI
New Delhi: That the Indian film industry is the world’s largest in terms of number of films produced as well as the number of cinema-goers is perhaps known.
But you really get an idea of its size when you discover that it produces almost as many films as the next three - the US, Japan and China - combined.
The Indian film industry, with its major centres at Mumbai, Chennai and Hyderabad, produced 1,132 feature films in 2007. In comparison, the American film industry in 2008 produced 520 feature films, Japan 418 and China 400. The fact that India also has the cheapest movie tickets for any major film producing nation may help explain the high cinematic churn as well as India’s huge movie-going audience.
As for theatre admissions, India’s count of 3.3 billion for 2008 was higher than the combined total of the next nine biggest film producing countries. The US was the only other country to have more than a billion admissions.
These facts have been put together by European Audiovisual Observatory, a public service body gathering and distributing information on the audiovisual industry, in its publication, ‘Focus 2009-World Film Market Trends’. While data for other countries pertains to 2008, in India’s case it had 2007 data for some parameters.
Of the major film markets, India has the cheapest ticket price averaging $0.5 (Rs 22). That`s a fraction of what movie-going costs elsewhere. The average price of a ticket in the nine other big film producing countries ranges between $2.2 in China and $11.7 in Japan.
The low ticket price accounts for the fact that gross box office collections of the Indian film industry — $1.8 billion in 2007 — are behind those of the US and Japan.
With $9.7 billion collected at the American box offices in 2008, the US tops the charts followed by Japan with $1.9 billion. But India`s film industry isn`t just unique for its size. Among the major film markets, India is the only one in which Hollywood blockbusters, even after being dubbed in the local language, have not managed to give local movies a serious challenge.
Not one of the top 10 films in India ranked by admissions or box office collections was from the US. In contrast, 8 of the top 10 films in the UK and Spain originated from America, Germany had 7 US films in its top 10, Korea and Italy 6 each, Japan 4, France 3 and China 2.
In terms of sheer numbers of films, the Nigerian film industry annually makes nearly a 1,000 low budget films with average budgets ranging between $5,000 and $10,000.
However, most of these films are produced in the video format and are produced largely for home viewing. One respect in which India does not lead is the number of multiplex screens. Against the over 29,000 such screens that the US had, India had only 850, ahead only of Korea among the top 10 film markets of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'