India fifth largest steel producer in the world
Jamshedpur: India was the fifth largest
steel producer in the world during the last financial year, a
Steel Ministry official said on Saturday.
During the financial year 2008-2009 India produced 55
million tonne of steel and became the fifth largest steel
producer, Goutam Kumar Basak, Executive Secretary of the Joint
Plant Committee (JPC) constituted by the Government of India
said at an interactive session.
As per the data available with JPC "we have produced
22.14 million tonnes of steel during April-August this year, a
jump by 6.6 percent compared to the figure of corresponding
period last year, Basak said.
He expressed confidence that the steel sector would
produce 60 million tonne steel this fiscal.
China, which produced 501 million tonnes last year, was
the leading steel producers in the world followed by Japan(119
million tonnes), USA (91 Million tonnes), Russia (69 Million
tonnes), he said.
As per the 11th five year plan, India has target to
achieve 124 million tonnes steel by 2011-12, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'