India fifth largest steel producer in the world
Jamshedpur: India was the fifth largest
steel producer in the world during the last financial year, a
Steel Ministry official said on Saturday.
During the financial year 2008-2009 India produced 55
million tonne of steel and became the fifth largest steel
producer, Goutam Kumar Basak, Executive Secretary of the Joint
Plant Committee (JPC) constituted by the Government of India
said at an interactive session.
As per the data available with JPC "we have produced
22.14 million tonnes of steel during April-August this year, a
jump by 6.6 percent compared to the figure of corresponding
period last year, Basak said.
He expressed confidence that the steel sector would
produce 60 million tonne steel this fiscal.
China, which produced 501 million tonnes last year, was
the leading steel producers in the world followed by Japan(119
million tonnes), USA (91 Million tonnes), Russia (69 Million
tonnes), he said.
As per the 11th five year plan, India has target to
achieve 124 million tonnes steel by 2011-12, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar