India finish 10th in Asian Martial Arts Games
Bangkok: India bagged three gold, seven silver and 23 bronze to finish a commendable 10th in the first Asian Martial Arts Games which concluded here today.
For India, all the three gold were won by women and two came in kurash, a form of upright jacket wrestling originated in Uzbekistan.
Shally Manral gave India their first gold in the women`s 52kg half weight category in kurash, while Laxmi Tyagi bagged the second in the 52kg low kick kick-boxing.
Jaya Chaudhary rounded off India`s campaign with a gold in the women`s 72kg half-heavy division in kurash to help the side finish in the top 10 bracket.
Incidentally, India`s two gold came at the expense of medal tally toppers Thailand. While Laxmi defeated local favourite Wilaiwan Namuangchan in the final, Jaya overcame the challenge of Chumerin Pongsumang.
Hosts Thailand topped the medals tally with 21 gold, 17 silver and 16 bronze, followed by Kazakhstan with 15 gold, seven silver and 12 bronze. Korea stood third with 10 gold, six silver and three bronze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Navjot Singh Sidhu is still in the party: Punjab BJP chief
- Youth arrested from Parbhani for suspected ISIS links
- Shocking! UP man caught having sexual relationship with 140 women, which includes lady police officer - READ
- Do not intervene in South China Sea dispute: China tells Japan
- Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli steps down