India finish 10th in Asian Martial Arts Games
Bangkok: India bagged three gold, seven silver and 23 bronze to finish a commendable 10th in the first Asian Martial Arts Games which concluded here today.
For India, all the three gold were won by women and two came in kurash, a form of upright jacket wrestling originated in Uzbekistan.
Shally Manral gave India their first gold in the women`s 52kg half weight category in kurash, while Laxmi Tyagi bagged the second in the 52kg low kick kick-boxing.
Jaya Chaudhary rounded off India`s campaign with a gold in the women`s 72kg half-heavy division in kurash to help the side finish in the top 10 bracket.
Incidentally, India`s two gold came at the expense of medal tally toppers Thailand. While Laxmi defeated local favourite Wilaiwan Namuangchan in the final, Jaya overcame the challenge of Chumerin Pongsumang.
Hosts Thailand topped the medals tally with 21 gold, 17 silver and 16 bronze, followed by Kazakhstan with 15 gold, seven silver and 12 bronze. Korea stood third with 10 gold, six silver and three bronze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday