India has potential to be leader in renewable energy: IRENA
New Delhi: India has the potential to be the leader in the renewable energy sector, International Renewable Energy Agency chief Helene Pelosse said today.
"I think India has the potential to emerge as the
leader in renewable energy and help the world in making photo
voltaic panels and solar energy commodities in next few
years," she told reporters here.
Asked about India`s plans to focus on nuclear and
coal-based energy sources, she said, "I think they want to
grow their nuclear share and also want to grow through
"At some point, with nuclear, you have the issue of
waste and you have the issue of future as there is not enough
uranium on earth and it is not renewable," she added.
Pelosse said that nuclear waste lasts for 10,000 years
and it was not viable economically also.
IRENA chief had yesterday met New and Renewable Energy
Minister Farooq Abdullah and discussed the potential and
future of renewable energy in the country.
Drawing a parallel with the electronics industry,
Pelosse said that Asia would also become the hub of production
of renewable energy equipment and the shift of industry had
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off