India has potential to be leader in renewable energy: IRENA
New Delhi: India has the potential to be the leader in the renewable energy sector, International Renewable Energy Agency chief Helene Pelosse said today.
"I think India has the potential to emerge as the
leader in renewable energy and help the world in making photo
voltaic panels and solar energy commodities in next few
years," she told reporters here.
Asked about India`s plans to focus on nuclear and
coal-based energy sources, she said, "I think they want to
grow their nuclear share and also want to grow through
"At some point, with nuclear, you have the issue of
waste and you have the issue of future as there is not enough
uranium on earth and it is not renewable," she added.
Pelosse said that nuclear waste lasts for 10,000 years
and it was not viable economically also.
IRENA chief had yesterday met New and Renewable Energy
Minister Farooq Abdullah and discussed the potential and
future of renewable energy in the country.
Drawing a parallel with the electronics industry,
Pelosse said that Asia would also become the hub of production
of renewable energy equipment and the shift of industry had
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea