India in handball semifinals
Dhaka: Indian men handball team lost to
Pakistan 31-34 in their final Group A match but ensured
themselves a semifinal berth as they finished second in the
group in the 11th South Asian Games on Wednesday.
India will take on Group B winners Bangladesh while Group
A toppers Pakistan face Nepal in their last four matches
Down 9-17 at the break, India fought back strongly in the
second session but the gap proved to be too much as Pakistan
edged them out by three goals in a thrilling finish.
Leading from the front, captain Binu Vasu scored eight
goals for India while Naya Singh Chaudhary banged in six. For
Pakistan, Nasrullah scored seven goals while Mohammad Shahid
Pervez, Azhar Khan and Naseer Ahmed netted six each.
India, who had beaten Sri Lanka in their earlier group
match, finished second behind Pakistan who had two wins in
In another match, Bangladesh thrashed Afghanistan 26-5 to
finish on top of Group B. They had earlier beaten Nepal.
Nepal, who had just a win over Afghanistan to their
credit, finished second in Group B.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?