India in handball semifinals
Dhaka: Indian men handball team lost to
Pakistan 31-34 in their final Group A match but ensured
themselves a semifinal berth as they finished second in the
group in the 11th South Asian Games on Wednesday.
India will take on Group B winners Bangladesh while Group
A toppers Pakistan face Nepal in their last four matches
Down 9-17 at the break, India fought back strongly in the
second session but the gap proved to be too much as Pakistan
edged them out by three goals in a thrilling finish.
Leading from the front, captain Binu Vasu scored eight
goals for India while Naya Singh Chaudhary banged in six. For
Pakistan, Nasrullah scored seven goals while Mohammad Shahid
Pervez, Azhar Khan and Naseer Ahmed netted six each.
India, who had beaten Sri Lanka in their earlier group
match, finished second behind Pakistan who had two wins in
In another match, Bangladesh thrashed Afghanistan 26-5 to
finish on top of Group B. They had earlier beaten Nepal.
Nepal, who had just a win over Afghanistan to their
credit, finished second in Group B.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh