India in handball semifinals
Dhaka: Indian men handball team lost to
Pakistan 31-34 in their final Group A match but ensured
themselves a semifinal berth as they finished second in the
group in the 11th South Asian Games on Wednesday.
India will take on Group B winners Bangladesh while Group
A toppers Pakistan face Nepal in their last four matches
Down 9-17 at the break, India fought back strongly in the
second session but the gap proved to be too much as Pakistan
edged them out by three goals in a thrilling finish.
Leading from the front, captain Binu Vasu scored eight
goals for India while Naya Singh Chaudhary banged in six. For
Pakistan, Nasrullah scored seven goals while Mohammad Shahid
Pervez, Azhar Khan and Naseer Ahmed netted six each.
India, who had beaten Sri Lanka in their earlier group
match, finished second behind Pakistan who had two wins in
In another match, Bangladesh thrashed Afghanistan 26-5 to
finish on top of Group B. They had earlier beaten Nepal.
Nepal, who had just a win over Afghanistan to their
credit, finished second in Group B.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video