India in handball semifinals
Dhaka: Indian men handball team lost to
Pakistan 31-34 in their final Group A match but ensured
themselves a semifinal berth as they finished second in the
group in the 11th South Asian Games on Wednesday.
India will take on Group B winners Bangladesh while Group
A toppers Pakistan face Nepal in their last four matches
Down 9-17 at the break, India fought back strongly in the
second session but the gap proved to be too much as Pakistan
edged them out by three goals in a thrilling finish.
Leading from the front, captain Binu Vasu scored eight
goals for India while Naya Singh Chaudhary banged in six. For
Pakistan, Nasrullah scored seven goals while Mohammad Shahid
Pervez, Azhar Khan and Naseer Ahmed netted six each.
India, who had beaten Sri Lanka in their earlier group
match, finished second behind Pakistan who had two wins in
In another match, Bangladesh thrashed Afghanistan 26-5 to
finish on top of Group B. They had earlier beaten Nepal.
Nepal, who had just a win over Afghanistan to their
credit, finished second in Group B.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'