India in handball semifinals
Dhaka: Indian men handball team lost to
Pakistan 31-34 in their final Group A match but ensured
themselves a semifinal berth as they finished second in the
group in the 11th South Asian Games on Wednesday.
India will take on Group B winners Bangladesh while Group
A toppers Pakistan face Nepal in their last four matches
Down 9-17 at the break, India fought back strongly in the
second session but the gap proved to be too much as Pakistan
edged them out by three goals in a thrilling finish.
Leading from the front, captain Binu Vasu scored eight
goals for India while Naya Singh Chaudhary banged in six. For
Pakistan, Nasrullah scored seven goals while Mohammad Shahid
Pervez, Azhar Khan and Naseer Ahmed netted six each.
India, who had beaten Sri Lanka in their earlier group
match, finished second behind Pakistan who had two wins in
In another match, Bangladesh thrashed Afghanistan 26-5 to
finish on top of Group B. They had earlier beaten Nepal.
Nepal, who had just a win over Afghanistan to their
credit, finished second in Group B.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?