India Inc welcomes Rail Budget with reservations
Mumbai: Railways Minister Mamata Banerjee presented the Railway Budget for the 2010/11 financial year in Parliament on Wednesday.
Following are reactions from company officials to the budget:
Umesh Choudhary, vice chairman, Titagrh Wagons
"Railway is building up capacity for the long term. Emphasis on public-private model to enhance rail infrastructure is good for the industry. If railways want to achieve this growth, it cannot do it by itself. It will need private investors.”
“However, some proposals like new wagon order and five new wagon plants, need more clarity."
Sajal Mitra, CEO, Arshiya Rail (unit of Arshiya International)
"We can take some positives from the budget in terms of enhancing overall connectivity and setting up a task force for clearance of projects within 100 days. But last year also, a lot of projects were announced and nothing really took off. At the end of the day you need massive amount of funds for these projects and funds are currently not available".
MVS Seshagiri Rao, Jt Managing Director, JSW Steel
"Dependency on road is very, very high. Share of railways is only 35-40 percent. So, this is one very big initiative, which is required to be pushed for having the railway corridors in several parts of India. Thereby, the railways` share will increase. It will become more efficient for the people, more competitive, it becomes cheaper to move to railway. I think that is what the industry is expecting."
RD Sharma, chairman & managing director, Kalindee Rail Nirman (Engineers) Ltd
"She (the railway minister) has also mentioned about vision 2020. We have to achieve an average of 1,000 kilometers a year. That is a great opportunity for companies like us."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!