India moves up seven places in FIFA rankings
New Delhi: India moved up seven places in the FIFA rankings to the 149th spot following their ONGC Nehru Cup football triumph.
Two wins in the group stage against Kyrgyzstan and Sri Lanka pulled India out of the dismal 156th spot. India`s win against Syria in Momday`s final was not counted since it ended in tie-breakers.
Syria, however, stayed at the 95th spot while Lebanon, who had defeated India in the group stage, dropped two places to the 150th spot.
Second runners-up Kyrgyzstan, despite losing two matches in the tournament, stunned everybody by jumping 17 places to the 143rd spot while Sri Lanka dropped three places to the 159th spot.
Meanwhile, South American champions Brazil are on top of the FIFA rankings followed by Euro winners Spain in the second place while the Dutch are third. Germany and world champion Italy are joint fourth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?