India needs nurturing a sports culture: former players
New Delhi: India lacks a sports culture
which could be remedied only by bringing in changes in the
education system, according to former players from various
A panel of former sporting greats, including badminton
national coach Pullela Gopichand and former hockey star Viren
Rasquinha, felt the necessity of a public-prive partnership
model if India has to produce more successful sportspersons.
"Sportpersons start having doubts about their careers
when they reach adolescence. They have to choose either sports
or education and the education system in India doesn`t allow
sportspersons to pursue education later on," Gopichand said
while addressing a session on "Sports as an emerging career
option -- Challenges and Opportunities" here.
Olympic Gold Quest COO, Viren stressed on the importance
of having a public-private partnership for running of games.
"We need private and public partnership in governing and
running the game. We need people with relevant expertise and a
professional set up in each sports," he said.
Asked about the reasons behind the downfall of Indian
hockey in the country, Viren said, "It is a combination of
many little things which have accumulated into a big problem.
We need to ensure that we work at the grassroot level."
"In hockey, there are no proper domestic circuit. Players
are taught rubbish by the coaches which gets reflected when
they play international matches. There needs to be a way of
coaching the coaches," he said.
Also present were cricket commentator Harsha Bhogle, world
cross country champion IAAF Gebregziabher Ggremariam of
Ethiopia and rifle shooter Shimon Sharif.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in