India not prepared to hold CWG: Ashok Kumar
Kolkata: With a series of scam allegations rocking the build-up to Commonwealth Games, former India hockey captain Ashok Kumar on Fridaysaid the country was not prepared to host such a big event.
“I feel sad to see so much of public money going waste. I think there has been lack of preparation from India’s point of view. It’s really sad to see so many scams coming out everyday. It’s our money, the public money, which is used. We must ensure that it’s utilised in a proper way,” Ashok, son of legendary player Dhyanchand, said.
He though hoped India would overcome the hurdles and stage the Games brilliantly.
“Commonwealth Games is India’s pride. It’s such a prestigious meet. We must ensure that it is conducted smoothly. After all our nation has conducted so many prestigious meets like Asiad in 1982. So I think we will overcome the hurdles,” he said.
Former coach V Bhaskaran said Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi, who is in the midst of the controversy, should have stepped down from his post earlier.
“Kalmadi should have stepped down from the Indian Olympic Association’s post and devoted his time for the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee,” he said.
The two former hockey greats were on Friday felicitated by the Hockey Lovers’ Association here.
Hockey Lovers Association also felicitated a host of umpires coaches and former greats at the function.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram