India not prepared to hold CWG: Ashok Kumar
Kolkata: With a series of scam allegations rocking the build-up to Commonwealth Games, former India hockey captain Ashok Kumar on Fridaysaid the country was not prepared to host such a big event.
“I feel sad to see so much of public money going waste. I think there has been lack of preparation from India’s point of view. It’s really sad to see so many scams coming out everyday. It’s our money, the public money, which is used. We must ensure that it’s utilised in a proper way,” Ashok, son of legendary player Dhyanchand, said.
He though hoped India would overcome the hurdles and stage the Games brilliantly.
“Commonwealth Games is India’s pride. It’s such a prestigious meet. We must ensure that it is conducted smoothly. After all our nation has conducted so many prestigious meets like Asiad in 1982. So I think we will overcome the hurdles,” he said.
Former coach V Bhaskaran said Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi, who is in the midst of the controversy, should have stepped down from his post earlier.
“Kalmadi should have stepped down from the Indian Olympic Association’s post and devoted his time for the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee,” he said.
The two former hockey greats were on Friday felicitated by the Hockey Lovers’ Association here.
Hockey Lovers Association also felicitated a host of umpires coaches and former greats at the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next