India peeved with US for not naming trade negotiating team
New Delhi: India on Tuesday slammed the Obama
administration for not appointing its negotiators at the WTO,
thus delaying conclusion of the already stretched global trade
talks initiated in Doha in 2001.
Describing the outcome of last month`s WTO ministerial
meeting in Geneva as disappointing, Commerce Secretary Rahul
Khullar said that the main hurdle for the trade talks was a
non-serious attitude of the US which is yet to put in place
"The other nations are saying `look guys your negotiators
are not in place...you cannot take it for ever and ever..." he
said, adding that the US administration is pre-occupied with
its healthcare reform issues. "Trade is not uppermost in
anybody`s agenda (in the US)."
India has repeatedly blamed rich countries, including
the US, for the deadlock in trade talks, especially over their
reluctance to allow poor countries to protect their farmers.
Khullar also said that India is disappointed with the outcome
of the recent WTO Ministerial in Geneva as nothing substantive
was done to resolve the differences to free global commerce.
"Essentially we just went round and round ...we all
pretend (that) we are making great progress. But nothing was
really going on," Khullar said at a Ficci conference here.
Khullar, who was part of the Indian delegation headed by
Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma, said, "We (WTO
members) did nothing" and spent time discussing trivia and
all those ridiculous details totally irrelevant...to the
substance of the negotiations".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues