‘India received subdued investment from Japan’
New Delhi: As Japan`s Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama met top Indian industry leaders to boost bilateral economic ties, an ICRIER study found that India has received a lukewarm response from Japanese investors.
"Ever since India decided to globalise, concentrated effort was made to attract Japanese participation through foreign direct investment. However, response from Japan has been rather subdued," the well-known think tank said.
The paper, which attempted to gain "some insight into this reluctance of Japanese investors," found that the businessmen from Japan not only seek economic ties but also commitment and trustworthiness. They also tend to test waters by giving limited work of setting unachievable targets to their overseas partners.
Thus, the Indian partners should have patience and trust, the paper said.
Though FDI from Japan has shown large increase from $85 million in 2006-07 to $950 million during April-October 2009-10, these inflows do not look impressive when compared to other countries like Singapore, the US and Germany.
The notable Japanese firms which have set up their wholly-owned or joint ventures in India include Honda, Mitsubishi and Toyota.
The Japanese Prime Minister met top industry leaders both here and in Mumbai. The business leaders who met Hatoyama included Tata Group Head Ratan Tata, RIL Chief Mukesh Ambani, Bajaj group`s chief Rahul Bajaj and Maruti Suzuki Chairman R C Bhargava.
India`s trade with Japan in 2008-09 was USD 10.60 billion, far less than China (USD 40.6 billion).
The ICRIER study said India should take measures like setting up of a regulatory body to check spurious products from entering the market to attract more investment from Japan.
"It is necessary to have a vigilant regulatory body to check cheap and spurious products from entering the market. This will give a fillip to Japanese investors ...," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...