‘India received subdued investment from Japan’
New Delhi: As Japan`s Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama met top Indian industry leaders to boost bilateral economic ties, an ICRIER study found that India has received a lukewarm response from Japanese investors.
"Ever since India decided to globalise, concentrated effort was made to attract Japanese participation through foreign direct investment. However, response from Japan has been rather subdued," the well-known think tank said.
The paper, which attempted to gain "some insight into this reluctance of Japanese investors," found that the businessmen from Japan not only seek economic ties but also commitment and trustworthiness. They also tend to test waters by giving limited work of setting unachievable targets to their overseas partners.
Thus, the Indian partners should have patience and trust, the paper said.
Though FDI from Japan has shown large increase from $85 million in 2006-07 to $950 million during April-October 2009-10, these inflows do not look impressive when compared to other countries like Singapore, the US and Germany.
The notable Japanese firms which have set up their wholly-owned or joint ventures in India include Honda, Mitsubishi and Toyota.
The Japanese Prime Minister met top industry leaders both here and in Mumbai. The business leaders who met Hatoyama included Tata Group Head Ratan Tata, RIL Chief Mukesh Ambani, Bajaj group`s chief Rahul Bajaj and Maruti Suzuki Chairman R C Bhargava.
India`s trade with Japan in 2008-09 was USD 10.60 billion, far less than China (USD 40.6 billion).
The ICRIER study said India should take measures like setting up of a regulatory body to check spurious products from entering the market to attract more investment from Japan.
"It is necessary to have a vigilant regulatory body to check cheap and spurious products from entering the market. This will give a fillip to Japanese investors ...," it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!