India recognised key market for global car makers: Ratan Tata
New Delhi: As global automobile giants on Tuesday unveiled their concept small cars here, Tata Group Chairman, who pioneered Nano, said the India has been recognised as an important market the worldover.
Tata, who created a revolution by launching the Rs 1-lakh Nano, said the small car segment is becoming competitive, which shows "Indian market has now been recognised as an important market worldover ...."
He was speaking at the CNBC-Overdrive award function, where Nano was recognised as the "Car of the year."
The awards were given away by Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
Tata said the year 2010 would be better for the Indian car industry than the previous year and customers would have more choice in the competitive market.
"We hope to be there and hopefully as the year goes by we will give more excitement (to customers)," he said.
Big car makers, including Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen, on Tuesday showcased their small cars here on the first day of the week-long 10th Auto Expo.
Tata Motors MD Ravi Kant while sharing the optimism said for the commercial vehicles a lot would depend on how the infrastructure sector plays out. He also demanded that the government should continue with the fiscal stimulus, which provided major benefit to the commercial vehicles segment.
"Government should invest very heavily on infrastructure particularly roads and they should continue with the stimulus," Kant said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know