India stuns Azerbaijan 2.5-1.5, in joint lead
Bursa (Turkey): Led by Krishnan Sasikiran on
the top board, India defeated formidable Azerbaijan 2.5-1.5 in
the third round of the World Team Chess Championship to emerge
as joint leader in the elite event here today.
Sasikiran defeated Vugar Gashimov, one of the most
impressive players of 2009, while Surya Shekhar Ganguly
outplayed Gadir Guseinov on the third board to ensure the
Indian victory despite G N Gopal`s defeat on the fourth board
against twice world junior champion Shakhriyar Mamedyarov.
On the second board, P Harikrishna survived a real scare
but eventually his tricky play helped salvage a draw against
highly regarded Teimour Radjabov.
With six rounds still to come in this 10-teams round
robin event, Armenia, Russia, Israel, Azerbaijan, USA and
India share the lead with four match points each.
Greece, Brazil, and Egypt have one win and two losses
each and share seventh-ninth position on two match points
while hosts Turkey is trailing last with no match points
Pitted against the second highest rated player of the
event in Gashimov, Sasikiran went for an ultra sharp variation
in the Nimzo Indian defense with white pieces and got the
reward when Gashimov entered a worse endgame.
Sasikiran was a delight to watch in the rest of the game,
displaying his technical prowess. On the second board,
Harikrishna faced a relatively less explored variation in the
Slav defense against Radjabov who played white.
The latter apparently had a great advantage and even an
extra pawn at one point in thegame but Harikrishna recovered
in the final stages to get a crucial half point.
Ganguly was in his elements on the third board. Playing
white, the Indian faced the Sicilian Accelerated Dragon and
got a tiny advantage in the ensuing middle game.
The exchange of pieces at regular intervals did not deter
Ganguly as he slowly increased his advantage in the heavy
pieces endgame and romped home in style.
Gopal was outdone with black pieces against Mamedyarov.
Russia defeated USA team 3-1 to join the leader board.
Vladimir Malakhov and Nikita Vituigov delivered the goods for
the Russians on the last two boards defeating Yuri Shulman and
Varuzhan Akobian respectively.
On the top boards Alexander Grischuk played out a draw
with Hikaru Nakamura and on the second Alexander Morozevich
signed peace with Alexander Onischuk.
This was a good come back by Russia after they lost to
Greece in the second round.
In other matches of the day, Armenia had it easy against
Turkey conceding just one draw in a 3.5-0.5 victory, Egypt
defeated Greece 2.5-1.5 and opened their account while Israel
cruised past Brazil 2.5-1.5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon