India suffer 0-5 whipping to UAE
Dubai : Indian football team suffered yet another humiliating defeat as it lost 0-5 to United Arab Emirates in its third international friendly match of the month, being played as part of the 2011 Asian Cup preparations, here tonight.
The third successive loss of the month was also the team`s seventh in nine international friendlies played so far as part of preparations for the tournament to be held in Doha
from January 7-29 next year.
Bob Houghton`s boys had lost to Asian Champions Iraq 0-2 on November 11 and 1-9 to Kuwait on November 14. They had lost 3-6 to Yemen and 0-1 to Hong Kong in Pune last month before beating Vietnam 3-1 at the same venue.
In September, they had beaten Namibia 2-0 in New Delhi after losing 0-1 and 1-2 against Thailand in Bangkok and New Delhi, respectively.
UAE scored through Saed Al Kas (15th), Amer Mobarak (35th), Ali Al Wahebi (61st and 73rd) and Ahmed Jumaa (72nd) at the Al Wasl Stadium.
Al Kas opened the scoring as he headed in a cross from the left by Youseef Jaber and then Amer Mobarak headed in from a corner kick in the 35th minute as the UAE led 2-0 at half time.
UAE had overwhelming possession in the first half and they did all the attacking with the ball remaining at the Indian half for most part of the match.
The Indians, still without regular captain Bhaichung Bhutia and his strike partner Sunil Chhetri due to injuries, could not match their rivals` superior skill and speed. They hardly had a clear look at the opposition goal in the whole of 90 minutes.
UAE pumped in three goals in the second half with Ali Al Wahebi finding the target just after the hour mark before two goals came inside a minute.
First, Ahmed Jumaa curled in a free-kick from just near the edge of the box to the Indian goal in the 72nd minute and, in the next minute, Al Wahebi slotted home after outrunning
Mahesh Gawli, who replaced Syed Rahim Nabi, taken off the field in the 28th minute due to injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok