India suffer 0-5 whipping to UAE
Dubai : Indian football team suffered yet another humiliating defeat as it lost 0-5 to United Arab Emirates in its third international friendly match of the month, being played as part of the 2011 Asian Cup preparations, here tonight.
The third successive loss of the month was also the team`s seventh in nine international friendlies played so far as part of preparations for the tournament to be held in Doha
from January 7-29 next year.
Bob Houghton`s boys had lost to Asian Champions Iraq 0-2 on November 11 and 1-9 to Kuwait on November 14. They had lost 3-6 to Yemen and 0-1 to Hong Kong in Pune last month before beating Vietnam 3-1 at the same venue.
In September, they had beaten Namibia 2-0 in New Delhi after losing 0-1 and 1-2 against Thailand in Bangkok and New Delhi, respectively.
UAE scored through Saed Al Kas (15th), Amer Mobarak (35th), Ali Al Wahebi (61st and 73rd) and Ahmed Jumaa (72nd) at the Al Wasl Stadium.
Al Kas opened the scoring as he headed in a cross from the left by Youseef Jaber and then Amer Mobarak headed in from a corner kick in the 35th minute as the UAE led 2-0 at half time.
UAE had overwhelming possession in the first half and they did all the attacking with the ball remaining at the Indian half for most part of the match.
The Indians, still without regular captain Bhaichung Bhutia and his strike partner Sunil Chhetri due to injuries, could not match their rivals` superior skill and speed. They hardly had a clear look at the opposition goal in the whole of 90 minutes.
UAE pumped in three goals in the second half with Ali Al Wahebi finding the target just after the hour mark before two goals came inside a minute.
First, Ahmed Jumaa curled in a free-kick from just near the edge of the box to the Indian goal in the 72nd minute and, in the next minute, Al Wahebi slotted home after outrunning
Mahesh Gawli, who replaced Syed Rahim Nabi, taken off the field in the 28th minute due to injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested