India thrash Belgium in Hockey; win series 2-0
New Delhi: India pumped in four goals in the second half to rout hosts Belgium 6-0 in the third and final hockey Test and clinch the series 2-0 at Wellington, Brussels.
India had won the second match 3-2 and drew the opening game 3-3.
Yesterday, India scored through Sandeep Singh (18th and 70th), Danish Mujtaba (29th), Dhananjay Mahadik (44th), Tushar Khandker (45th) and Sarvanjit Singh (63rd).
India played attacking hockey with one touch passes and swift ball rotation and made their intentions clear when captain Rajpal Singh dashed down the right flank to set up Danish whose diving deflection went inches wide.
Two Belgium attacks went in vain as India goalkeeper Bharat Chetri warded off attacks from John Verdussen and Renaud Pangrazio.
India earned first of their three penalty corners but Sandeep Singh`s flick hit a defender`s leg and was re-awarded. Sandeep was on target this time to give India the lead in the 18th minute.
Belgium nearly got the equaliser in the 22nd minute following a penalty corner, awarded due to a wrong tackle by Mahadik, but Jerome Truyen`s attempt was saved on the ball line by Probodh Tirkey.
India consolidated their lead in the 29th minute with a fast counter attack engineered by Gurbaj Singh and Ravi Pal with Danish Mujtaba putting the finishing touch with a diving effort.
Belgium earned eight penalty corners but all of them were well taken by goalkeeper Chetri and the Indian rushers.
Mahadik scored India`s third goal in the 44th minute from a penalty corner after Vincent Van Asch was penalised in the striking circle.
Tushar Khandker added another goal to India`s tally in the next minute after a speedy combination with Rajpal and Dharamvir Singh.
This was followed by an onslaught by the Indian forwards from the right flank as midfielder Ajitesh Roy played wall passes with Mandip Antil and set up Sarvanjit Singh who beat Belgium goalkeeper Gucassoff.
India were awarded a penalty stroke in the last minute after Rajpal Singh was brought down by Cederic Charlier in an attempt to take a deflection at goal.
Sandeep Singh confidently pushed home to give India a well deserved 6-0 victory. India now travel to Paris where they will play three Tests against France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video