India, US say WikiLeaks not to affect ties
Washington: Unauthorised release of secret State Department cables by WikiLeaks will not affect the growing relationship between India and the United States, the two countries have agreed.
Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, called Minister of External Affairs SM Krishna over telephone to discuss a wide range of issues ranging from bilateral relationship, to the situation in the region including Afghanistan and WikiLeaks cables.
The telephonic conversation between the two leaders lasted for about 15 minutes, State Department spokesman PJ Crowley said.
"They covered a range of subjects which reflect the depth of US-Indian relations, including President Obama`s successful visit and plans for the next strategic dialogue,"
"They talked about the importance of ongoing counterterrorism cooperation. They also discussed the situation in Afghanistan, and SM Krishna expressed
condolences over the loss of Richard Holbrooke," he said.
"The secretary and minister agreed that unauthorised release of classified cables would not affect cooperation between India and the United States," Crowley said.
Krishna invited Clinton to visit India for the second round of the strategic dialogue, dates for which will be decided through diplomatic channels, MEA officials said.
The first round of the strategic dialogue was held in the US in June this year.
Separately, US Under Secretary for Political Affairs William Burns had a telephonic conversation with Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on various bilateral issues and
regional matters of mutual importance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie