India, US say WikiLeaks not to affect ties
Washington: Unauthorised release of secret State Department cables by WikiLeaks will not affect the growing relationship between India and the United States, the two countries have agreed.
Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, called Minister of External Affairs SM Krishna over telephone to discuss a wide range of issues ranging from bilateral relationship, to the situation in the region including Afghanistan and WikiLeaks cables.
The telephonic conversation between the two leaders lasted for about 15 minutes, State Department spokesman PJ Crowley said.
"They covered a range of subjects which reflect the depth of US-Indian relations, including President Obama`s successful visit and plans for the next strategic dialogue,"
"They talked about the importance of ongoing counterterrorism cooperation. They also discussed the situation in Afghanistan, and SM Krishna expressed
condolences over the loss of Richard Holbrooke," he said.
"The secretary and minister agreed that unauthorised release of classified cables would not affect cooperation between India and the United States," Crowley said.
Krishna invited Clinton to visit India for the second round of the strategic dialogue, dates for which will be decided through diplomatic channels, MEA officials said.
The first round of the strategic dialogue was held in the US in June this year.
Separately, US Under Secretary for Political Affairs William Burns had a telephonic conversation with Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao on various bilateral issues and
regional matters of mutual importance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves