India won two bronze in Junior World Badminton c`ships
New Delhi: Young Indian shuttlers B Sai Praneeth and H S Prannoy won two bronze medals in the recently concluded Junior World Badminton Championships held at Guadalajara, Mexico.
There was more good news for India as three players -- Parneeth, Prannoy in boys and PV Sindhu in girls – qualified for the Youth Olympic Games to be held at Singapore in August later this year.
The tournament, which concluded on April 25, saw some brilliant performance from the Indian junior shuttlers, mainly Prannoy and Praneeth.
Prannoy had a good run in the tournament as he beat second seed Malaysian Loh Wei Sheng in the first round and then notched up a win against ninth seeded Hseih Feng of Chinese Taipei in pre-quarter finals.
In the quarterfinals, Prannoy defeated Liu Kai of China 21-9, 21-9 with his powerful smashes before going down 9-21, 13-21 to Korean Kong Ji Wook in the semifinals.
Praneeth also put up a splendid performance, defeating Boonyakorn Thumphanichwong of Thailand in first round, before getting past Claer Bout Lucas of France in the pre-quarters.
The Indian lad then defeated Subagja Riyanto of Indonesia 21-14, 21-10 in the quarterfinals before succumbing in the semifinals against Axelsen Viktor of Denmark 17-21, 21-17, 15-21.
In the girls singles event, PV Sindhu was at her best as she defeated fifth seed Korean Choi Hye Jin in the first round before beating Wentholt Josephine of the Netherlands in the pre-quarter finals.
But the Indian lost in the quarterfinals, going down against second seeded Chinese Suo Di 21-13, 17-21, 15-21, a Badminton Association of India release said.
Later, Sindhu beat Carolina Marin of Spain 21-17 21-19 to finish fifth.
In the team championships, India defeated America by 3-0, Singapore by 3-0 and England by 3-0 before losing 2-3 to Denmark to finish at the ninth position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'