India won two bronze in Junior World Badminton c`ships
New Delhi: Young Indian shuttlers B Sai Praneeth and H S Prannoy won two bronze medals in the recently concluded Junior World Badminton Championships held at Guadalajara, Mexico.
There was more good news for India as three players -- Parneeth, Prannoy in boys and PV Sindhu in girls – qualified for the Youth Olympic Games to be held at Singapore in August later this year.
The tournament, which concluded on April 25, saw some brilliant performance from the Indian junior shuttlers, mainly Prannoy and Praneeth.
Prannoy had a good run in the tournament as he beat second seed Malaysian Loh Wei Sheng in the first round and then notched up a win against ninth seeded Hseih Feng of Chinese Taipei in pre-quarter finals.
In the quarterfinals, Prannoy defeated Liu Kai of China 21-9, 21-9 with his powerful smashes before going down 9-21, 13-21 to Korean Kong Ji Wook in the semifinals.
Praneeth also put up a splendid performance, defeating Boonyakorn Thumphanichwong of Thailand in first round, before getting past Claer Bout Lucas of France in the pre-quarters.
The Indian lad then defeated Subagja Riyanto of Indonesia 21-14, 21-10 in the quarterfinals before succumbing in the semifinals against Axelsen Viktor of Denmark 17-21, 21-17, 15-21.
In the girls singles event, PV Sindhu was at her best as she defeated fifth seed Korean Choi Hye Jin in the first round before beating Wentholt Josephine of the Netherlands in the pre-quarter finals.
But the Indian lost in the quarterfinals, going down against second seeded Chinese Suo Di 21-13, 17-21, 15-21, a Badminton Association of India release said.
Later, Sindhu beat Carolina Marin of Spain 21-17 21-19 to finish fifth.
In the team championships, India defeated America by 3-0, Singapore by 3-0 and England by 3-0 before losing 2-3 to Denmark to finish at the ninth position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical