`India won`t tolerate violation of rights of Tamils`
Puducherry: Asserting that India will not tolerate violation of basic rights of Tamils and Indians anywhere in the world, Minister of State in the PMO, V Narayanasamy, on Monday hit out at attempts by some parties in Tamil Nadu to "malign" Congress on Tamils issue.
"We will not tolerate violation of basic rights of Tamils and Indians anywhere in the world," he said in response to a question on the US-sponsored motion against Sri Lanka for alleged human rights violations during the conflict against LTTE.
He said he had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh a couple of days ago at Delhi and requested him that India support the resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC. The Prime Minister had assured him that he would `definitely` consider the plea, Narayanasamy told reporters here.
However, he said, it was regrettable that some political parties were attempting to create a wrong impression that Congress was acting against Tamils in Sri Lanka.
He pointed out that Congress had lost its leader, former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on the Lankan issue. Besides,the party spared no efforts to protect Tamils wherever they faced any ordeal.
This being the fact some political parties, claiming to be champions of Tamils, were now attempting to "malign" the Congress on Tamils issue, he charged. He, however, did not name the parties.
AIADMK supremo and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, DMK president M Karunanidhi and MDMK leader Vaiko had taken up the issue with the Prime Minister recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi