India woos Malaysian cos to invest in road projects
Kuala Lumpur: India today invited Malaysian
companies to invest in India`s road projects but expressed
apprehensions whether small firms would be able to complete
successfully big infrastructure contracts.
India`s Road Transport and Highways Minister Kamal Nath
said the scale of opportunities is such that it is a win-win
situation. Contracts worth USD 20 billion is likely to be
awarded by June 2010, he added.
He said the Indian government wanted to build up economic
engagement. "We want construction sector to build this up."
"Economic engagement is important with East Asia and we
attach great importance to this."
Nath, who is here to hold talks with senior Malaysian
ministers, said that the lucrative Indian road network is the
second largest in the world.
Thirty-five Malaysian companies are already involved with
various infrastructure projects in India.
The National Highway Authority of India is developing
5,985 kms of highways. Work on the golden quadrilateral, which
connects four metros, has been completed almost. The total
length of roads in India is 3.4 million kms while the
total length of national highways is 70,548 kms.
India`s road network carries 70 percent of the freight
traffic and 85 percent of passenger traffic. According to
reports, road traffic is growing at the rate of 7-10 percent
while vehicle population is growing by 12 percent. National
highways account for 2 percent of roads but carry 40 percent
of the total traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation