Indian-Americans say Obama victory good for India, diaspora
Washington: Indian Americans have welcomed the re-election of President Barack Obama saying his administration has delivered and victory is good for the community and India both.
"Obama`s victory is very good for the Indian American community and India," Thomas Abraham, founder president of Global organisation of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO) told a news agency.
"The Asian American community, and in particular Indian Americans, has a high presence in his administration as political appointees and this trend will continue," he said.
"When Obama went to India, he gave a surprise by endorsing India as a permanent member of the UN Security Council," Abraham said.
"So the Democratic administration has delivered and we will see increasing cooperation in defence, science and technology, trade and fighting terrorism," he added.
Welcoming Obama`s re-election, Milpitas, California, based North American Punjabi Association (NAPA) said the Punjabi community is celebrating his victory because of his several initiatives including the Dream Act for the immigrant children and Obama healthcare law.
On top of this "Obama rose above politics and felt concerned, taking appreciable steps to garner sense of safety and security amongst community members" when six Sikh worshippers were killed in a shootout at Oak Creek Gurdwara in Wisconsin in August, said association`s president Satnam Singh Chahal.
New York`s noted Indian-American attorney Ravi Batra said, "Barack Obama proved that the hard road is the sure road for resuscitating the American Dream."
Republican challenger "Mitt Romney forced Barack Obama to be at his best so that American exceptionalism continues to provide solace and support for all who love freedom and want a better tomorrow for their kids the world over," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!