Indian archers bag four gold, two silver, two bronze medals
Kolkata: India had a rich haul of four gold,
two silver and two bronze medals on the third day of the
four-day second Asian archery Grand Prix at Bangkok today.
According to information received here, Rahul Banerjee
and Deepika Kumari have won the individual gold medals in the
recurve section, defeating Nader Ghadam Manoochehlrimo (Iran)
106-102 and Hee-jung Kim (Korea) 106-104 respectively in the
Former world junior champion Palton Hansda won the men`s
compound gold medal overcoming compatriot C Srither in the
tie-breaker after the two were tied at 115-115.
The tie was resolved in the third shot after both hit 10
and 9 in the first two rounds. In the third, Hansda shot a
nine as against Srither`s 8.
India annexed the mixed recurve team gold medal beating
Chinese Taipei also in tie-breaker.
The two teams were tied at 148-148.
Both the teams tied again after two rounds at 18 and 19
points each but in the third round, the Indian duo shot 19 to
Chinese Taipei`s 18.
The other silver medal came India`s way in the mixed
compound team event and the two bronze medals were won by
Ritul Chatterjee (compound men) and Gagandeep Bawa (compound
women). Having qualified as the top seed, Mangal Singh Champia,
disappointingly lost in the pre-quarterfinals and Jayanta
Talukdar went out in quarterfinals. Tarundeep Rai lost in the
Dola Banerjee and L Bombayla Devi stumbled in the
quarterfinals of the women`s recurve section and Rimil Buriuly
was ousted in the pre-quarterfinals.
Jayantilal Ninamo was eliminated in the quarterfinals by
compatriot Hansda while National champion Srither picked up
the silver and Chatterjee the bronze medal in the men`s
In the women`s section, Bheigyabati Chanu, Jhano Hansdah
and Srikonda Jayalakshmi failed to advance to semifinals.
All the four Indian teams are in fray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video