Indian archers strong contenders in World Cup: Limba Ram
Kolkata: High on hope after their success in
the four stages of World Cup, the 12-member archery contingent
will fly to Ulsan (Korea) tomorrow to take part in the World
Archery Championships to be held from September 1-9.
Indian chief coach and former Olympian Limba Ram, on the
eve of their departure, told that the Indian men are
strong contenders for winning the gold medal, provided they
overcome the psychological barrier to beat the `invincible`
Koreans in their home turf at the Ulsan Munsu International
"We have had a very good preparation, not only on the
skill front, we have also focussed on building the mental
strength that will help them overcome the Korean archers,"
Limba told at the Sports Authority of India Eastern India
campus where the archers underwent training.
The veteran of three Olympics, Limba Ram said India have
a very good chance for the gold medal in the men`s team event.
"Our men`s recurve team has been scoring better than the
World Record mark, shooting 233 consistently. If they even
come close to that score, we can be the world champions.
"Jayanta (Talukdar) has had a very good run, winning
three medals (two golds and one bronze) at World Cups. I am
looking forward to him do well in the individual event as
well," the 1991 Arjuna Awardee said.
"We have trained very hard, keeping in mind of the Korean
condition. We have had various mental-building exercise to
overcome the psychological fear against Koreans. I have told
them not to fear and shoot without any mistake during a
competition. Hope they come good."
"Even as the men`s side has a bright prospects, I am
looking forward to the trio of Dola Banerjee, Pratima Boro and
Rimil Biruly to finish with a medal at least," Limba said.
Talukdar is the highest ranking, sixth, among Indians in
the men`s recurve section that has Korean I M Dong Hyun as the
No. 1 rank.
Dola is also ranked sixth with Korean Yun Ok Hee getting
the top-billing in women`s recurve section.
India bagged one team gold in World Cup Stage I (Santo
Domnigo); one individual gold (Talukdar) and one men`s recurve
team gold in Stage II (Porec); and one men`s recurve team
silver, individual bronze (Talukdar) and women`s recurve
bronze in Stage III (Antalya) and they did not get any medal
at the recently-concluded Stage IV (Shanghai).
The Indian contingent will leave for Uslan via Tokyo
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam