Indian archers strong contenders in World Cup: Limba Ram
Kolkata: High on hope after their success in
the four stages of World Cup, the 12-member archery contingent
will fly to Ulsan (Korea) tomorrow to take part in the World
Archery Championships to be held from September 1-9.
Indian chief coach and former Olympian Limba Ram, on the
eve of their departure, told that the Indian men are
strong contenders for winning the gold medal, provided they
overcome the psychological barrier to beat the `invincible`
Koreans in their home turf at the Ulsan Munsu International
"We have had a very good preparation, not only on the
skill front, we have also focussed on building the mental
strength that will help them overcome the Korean archers,"
Limba told at the Sports Authority of India Eastern India
campus where the archers underwent training.
The veteran of three Olympics, Limba Ram said India have
a very good chance for the gold medal in the men`s team event.
"Our men`s recurve team has been scoring better than the
World Record mark, shooting 233 consistently. If they even
come close to that score, we can be the world champions.
"Jayanta (Talukdar) has had a very good run, winning
three medals (two golds and one bronze) at World Cups. I am
looking forward to him do well in the individual event as
well," the 1991 Arjuna Awardee said.
"We have trained very hard, keeping in mind of the Korean
condition. We have had various mental-building exercise to
overcome the psychological fear against Koreans. I have told
them not to fear and shoot without any mistake during a
competition. Hope they come good."
"Even as the men`s side has a bright prospects, I am
looking forward to the trio of Dola Banerjee, Pratima Boro and
Rimil Biruly to finish with a medal at least," Limba said.
Talukdar is the highest ranking, sixth, among Indians in
the men`s recurve section that has Korean I M Dong Hyun as the
No. 1 rank.
Dola is also ranked sixth with Korean Yun Ok Hee getting
the top-billing in women`s recurve section.
India bagged one team gold in World Cup Stage I (Santo
Domnigo); one individual gold (Talukdar) and one men`s recurve
team gold in Stage II (Porec); and one men`s recurve team
silver, individual bronze (Talukdar) and women`s recurve
bronze in Stage III (Antalya) and they did not get any medal
at the recently-concluded Stage IV (Shanghai).
The Indian contingent will leave for Uslan via Tokyo
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM