Indian archery squad named for World Cup stage II
Kolkata: Swuro siblings, Thupovoyi and Chekrovolu made the Indian recurve squad for the Archery World Cup stage II to be held in Antalya (Turkey) from June 6-11.
In two changes to the line-up that represented India in World Cup Stage I, the Archery Association of India (AAI) picked an eight-member recurve squad with Thupovoyi and Chekrovolu replacing national champion Viswash Kumar and Rimil Buruily in the men`s and women`s recurve squads respectively.
The Indian men, who upset world champions Korea in the semis, had to settle for a silver after losing to the US in the recurve section of World Cup stage I held in Porec (Croatia).
The women recurve side settled for a fourth-place finish.
The compound archers had a disastrous show, bowing in the first and second round in the men`s and women`s sections respectively.
Following their flop show in the stage I, the AAI opted against picking a squad in the compound section.
The AAI also picked a 24-member contingent with juniors in the recurve section for the third Asian Grand Prix and Asian Youth Championship to be held in Dhaka from May 27-June 1.
But India`s top team will vie for top honours in the compound section of the Asian GP. There is no compound competition in the Asian youth.
World Cup (Stage-II) - Recurve (men): Jayanta Talukdar (SPSB), Rahul Banerjee (Rly), Tarundeep Rai (SSCB) and Thupovoyi Swuro (Nag); (Women): Deepika Kumari and Seema Verma (both SPSB), Laishram Bombayla Devi (Rly), Chekrovolu Swuro (Nag); Coaches: Limba Ram, Dharmendra Tiwary and Purnima Mahato.
Asian GP -- Recurve (men): Rajgovind Swansi and Mangal Ho (both SSCB), Somnath Mondal (Ben), Atanu Das (SPSB); (Women): Rimil Buruily (Rly), Sumita Kumari (SPSB), Dipali Boro (Asm) and Antara Basak (Ben); Compound (men): Ch Jignas, C Srither and L Haridas Singh (all SSCB) and Anil Kumar (ITBP); (Women): Namita Yadav and Manjudha Soy (both Rly), Gagandeep Kaur (Pun), Jhano Hansdah (Jhr).
Asian Youth -- Recurve (men): Prasan Nath (Rly), Mukesh Tamang (SSCB), Pawan Xalxo (SPSB) and Hemanta Basumatary (Asm); (Women): Himane Boro, Mainaw Narzary and Pratima Boro (all Asm), Gunjan Kumari (SPSB).
Coaches: D Saiswari Rao, Gajendra Sharma, Mim Gurung, Rajendra Guiya and Rajkumar Raju Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender