`Indian Badminton League to have six franchise`
Mumbai: The proposed Indian Badminton League, to be set up on the lines of the popular Indian Premier League in cricket, would commence with six franchise outfits and is expected to be held tentatively at the end of the year.
The idea to constitute the IBL was proposed by the Maharashtra Badminton Association and accepted by the parent body -- Badminton Association of India -- at its AGM in Lucknow on July 2, according to MBA President and former international shuttler Pradeep Gandhe.
"A lot of work needs to be done. We have to find out the availability of the players, whether the teams can have players from other countries, venues and format of the tournament etc. But, yes we are going ahead and I am confident it will be a success," said Gandhe.
Asked whether there would be auction of teams and players as is the case with the IPL, Gandhe said, "yes, definitely."
"This League is being started for the benefit of the players. The top ten players will have to be paid much more than what they get now in tournaments.
"If the association can get a piece of the players` cake, it will help us continue conducting the league," said the former shuttler, a doubles specialist.
Gandhe said the success of the Maharashtra Badminton League held in Pune, led to the state association`s proposal to make it into a national affair.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended