`Indian Badminton League to have six franchise`
Mumbai: The proposed Indian Badminton League, to be set up on the lines of the popular Indian Premier League in cricket, would commence with six franchise outfits and is expected to be held tentatively at the end of the year.
The idea to constitute the IBL was proposed by the Maharashtra Badminton Association and accepted by the parent body -- Badminton Association of India -- at its AGM in Lucknow on July 2, according to MBA President and former international shuttler Pradeep Gandhe.
"A lot of work needs to be done. We have to find out the availability of the players, whether the teams can have players from other countries, venues and format of the tournament etc. But, yes we are going ahead and I am confident it will be a success," said Gandhe.
Asked whether there would be auction of teams and players as is the case with the IPL, Gandhe said, "yes, definitely."
"This League is being started for the benefit of the players. The top ten players will have to be paid much more than what they get now in tournaments.
"If the association can get a piece of the players` cake, it will help us continue conducting the league," said the former shuttler, a doubles specialist.
Gandhe said the success of the Maharashtra Badminton League held in Pune, led to the state association`s proposal to make it into a national affair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31