Indian eco resilient; will get international funds: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Bouyed by 7.9 percent GDP growth
in the second quarter of the current fiscal, Home Minister P
Chidambaram today said Indian economy is resilient and will
continue to get funding from international community.
"India economy is very resilient and strong and that is
why international bodies help us," he said in Lok Sabha
pointing out that India recorded 7.9 percent growth rate in
the second quarter.
Replying to a discussion on natural calamities,
Chidambaram recalled how the World Bank and other
international institutions had supplemented nation`s efforts
in rehabilitating the calamity-affected areas like Bhuj, Latur
and tsunami-hit Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry.
Regretting that only four states have signed up for
restoration of water bodies, the Minister asked more states
should come forward with their schemes for seeking funding
from international bodies.
The four states which have signed up for restoration of
water bodies are Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa and
According to the data released by CSO earlier in the day,
the economy during the second quarter (July-September 2009-10)
recorded growth rate of 7.9 percent, much more than what was
anticipated by analysts and think tanks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive