Indian Express bows out of French Open
Paris: Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi bowed out of the French Open men`s doubles event with a straight-set defeat against unseeded Australian combination of Stephen Huss and Ashley Fisher on Saturday.
The formidable third seed Indian pair, who were the runners-up at Australian Open this year, lost 6-7 (7), 4-6 in the second round in a contest that last an hour and 32 minutes.
Paes and Bhupathi had incidentally won their last Grand Slam title at this very venue in 2001. After that, they had split and played with different partners.
They decided to join forces just ahead of the season and began the re-union by winning the Chennai Open and then reaching the Australian Open final.
It was a scintillating contest of tennis today as both the teams fought tooth and nail.
There was only one breakpoint in the whole match, which Fisher and Huss converted in the second set to move to the next level.
Later in the day, Paes and his partner Iveta Benesova of Czech Republic will take on Chia-Jung Chuang of Chinese Taipei and Marcin Matkowski of Poland in the mixed doubles second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth