Indian golf team lying second at Nomura Cup
Denarau (Fiji): The Indian Golf Union`s amateur team made an impressive start with the top three firing under-par rounds to help the team to the second place at the end of the first round of the biennial Asia-Pacific Golf Championships for the Nomura Cup.
While national champion S Chikkarangappa and Faldo Series Asia champion Abhijit Chadha shot three-under 69 each, Khalin Joshi of Bangalore brought in a card of two-under 70.
The fourth player in the squad, Angad Cheema was also under par at one-under 71. With the best three scores counting, India had a total of 208, just one behind the favoured Australians, who are at 207. New Zealand, another strong team, is third at 211.
With morning rains leaving the Denarau Golf Course water-logged, play had to be suspended for two and a half hours. The first group which had to tee off at 9 am left at 11.30 am.
The wet and soggy conditions also meant that players were asked to carry their own bags, instead of being allowed on carts as that could have damaged the soft course.
This is one of the strongest Indian teams ever with Chikka having been part of the winning junior team at Asian Championships, while Chadha has won a team silver in Asian Games and also topped Faldo Series Asia Grand Final this year.
Indians have won the Nomura Cup only once back in 1973.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof