Indian Judokas bag 3 golds, 1 bronze in South Asian Games
Dhaka: Indian judokas swelled the medal tally
bagging three gold and one bronze at the 11th South Asian
Games here on Monday.
Akram Shah, Lourembam Brojeshori Devi and Ningthoujam
Chanu Krishan reigned supreme in their respective sections to
earn India three yellow metals, while Krishan Kumar bagged the
lone bronze medal.
Indians participated in all the five categories in judo
out of which they just faltered in men`s 100kg category where
Yaima Singh Khaidem could not bag any medal.
At Bangladesh Krida Shiksha Pratisthan (BKSP), Savar near
here, Shah beat Pakistani rival Zafar Iqbal in the men`s 60kg
en route to the gold. Sri Lanka`s Madura Milan and Mohammad
Reja Abdul Hali of Afghanistan took the bronze medals.
The second gold for India came in the women`s 63kg as
Lourembam dominated the ring, beating Pakistani Fouzia Mumtaz
in her final bout. Nepalese Debu Thapa and Farhana Halim of
Bangladesh took the bronze medals.
Still recuperating from an injury sustained in a freak
elevator mishap before the Games, Thapa today made a winning
comeback beating Lina Aini of Afghanistan to make the semis
where she lost to the Indian.
The third gold came in the 52kg women`s section in which
Chanu beat Lankan Chamila Dilhani Wijerathna. Nepal`s Radha
Devi Rai and Pakistan`s Humaira Ashiq got the bronze medals.
Krishan Kumar got the bronze in men`s 66kg category in
which Pakistani Aiatulla and Chandana Jayantha Bandara took
the gold and silver respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city