Indian Judokas bag 3 golds, 1 bronze in South Asian Games
Dhaka: Indian judokas swelled the medal tally
bagging three gold and one bronze at the 11th South Asian
Games here on Monday.
Akram Shah, Lourembam Brojeshori Devi and Ningthoujam
Chanu Krishan reigned supreme in their respective sections to
earn India three yellow metals, while Krishan Kumar bagged the
lone bronze medal.
Indians participated in all the five categories in judo
out of which they just faltered in men`s 100kg category where
Yaima Singh Khaidem could not bag any medal.
At Bangladesh Krida Shiksha Pratisthan (BKSP), Savar near
here, Shah beat Pakistani rival Zafar Iqbal in the men`s 60kg
en route to the gold. Sri Lanka`s Madura Milan and Mohammad
Reja Abdul Hali of Afghanistan took the bronze medals.
The second gold for India came in the women`s 63kg as
Lourembam dominated the ring, beating Pakistani Fouzia Mumtaz
in her final bout. Nepalese Debu Thapa and Farhana Halim of
Bangladesh took the bronze medals.
Still recuperating from an injury sustained in a freak
elevator mishap before the Games, Thapa today made a winning
comeback beating Lina Aini of Afghanistan to make the semis
where she lost to the Indian.
The third gold came in the 52kg women`s section in which
Chanu beat Lankan Chamila Dilhani Wijerathna. Nepal`s Radha
Devi Rai and Pakistan`s Humaira Ashiq got the bronze medals.
Krishan Kumar got the bronze in men`s 66kg category in
which Pakistani Aiatulla and Chandana Jayantha Bandara took
the gold and silver respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers