Indian kid wins Oz swimming event in crocodile-infested waters
New Delhi: Nicknamed the `Little Mermaid`,
12-year-old Indian swimming sensation Swapnali Yadav entered
the Limca Book of World Records after becoming the youngest to
win the Kimberley National Lake Argyle Swim in the crocodile
infested waters of Kununurra, Western Australia.
"Swapnali entered the Limca Book of Records as the
youngest participant in the world and the first Indian to win
the competition," a release said today.
The Mumbai girl won the first Kimberley National Lake
Argyle Swim that was held in Australia`s second-biggest
artificial lake early this month.
The event was organised by Lake Argyle Swim Inc., under
the auspices of the Association of Swimming Australia, the
local Western Australian government, the Department of Sports
and Recreation and world body FINA.
Swapnali was a special invitee for the 20km Open swim in
the 80km picturesque lake in Kununurra, Western Australia that
is 21 times bigger than the Sydney Harbour and is infested
with about 35,000 crocodiles.
Swapnali won the Women`s category, and finished second
overall in the Open category to do India proud.
Swapnali completed the swim in an impressive time of
"It was a real challenge. But I was confident of
completing the swim. I had seen Lake Argyle on the internet
before I thought the swim would be interesting," Swapnali
"My dream is to represent India in the Olympics and swim
the English Channel," she added.
At 12 years, four months and 25 days, Swapnali became the
youngest and the first Indian to win the competition, which
has earned her a place in the Limca Book of Records yet again
after her earlier feats that earned her a place in the record
"Swapnali`s entry attracted plenty of attention. She
braved the crocodiles and was an inspiration to other
swimmers. She is now the `Crocodile Princess`," said Taneille
Anderson, coordinator and president of Lake Argyle Swim Inc.
"Lake Argyle is unique among Australia`s long-distance
swims. In comparison to ocean swims where the horizons are
normally boring, competitors are overawed by the magnificent
landscape," Anderson added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon