Indian MDH loses to Pakistani MDH in website dispute case
New Delhi: Leading masala-maker Mahashian Di Hatti Ltd, popularly known by its brand name MDH, has lost a website address dispute case against a Pakistani firm engaged in a similar business at the World Intellectual Property Organisation.
Mahashian Di Hatti had approached the Geneva-based WIPO
Arbitration and Mediation Center objecting the ownership of an
Internet site `mdhfoods.com` by Pakistan`s MDH Food Company.
The Indian firm contented before the Center that disputed
domain name is identical and confusingly similar to its MDH
mark, since it incorporates the mark in its entirety and the
addition of "foods" does not detract from its distinctiveness.
The Pakistani firm has no rights or legitimate interests
in the disputed domain name since the complainant (here Indian
firm), as the prior user and hence the lawful owner of the
mark, has not licensed or otherwise permitted MDH Food Company
to use it, it further said.
The Indian company successfully established the fact
that the site `mdhfoods.com` is confusingly similar to its
mark, but failed to establish the absence of rights or
legitimate interest in the domain name on the part of the
In its order dated August 19, WIPO`s sole panelist --
Alan L Limbury -- "denied" the complaint of Mahashian Di Hatti
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal