Indian men get ready for Azerbaijan test in Chess Olympiad
Khanty Mansiysk: In what would be their second biggest test here, Indian men are set to take on Azerbaijan in the sixth round of the 39th chess Olympiad.
Barring a 3-1 loss to Russia, the Krishnan Sasikiran-led team has done well to win four matches and, at the half-way stage, stands joint fifth with eight points.
Hungary, Armenia and Georgia are in joint lead with 10 points from five matches, while Ukraine and Holland share the joint fourth spot with nine points apiece. India share the next spot with nine other teams.
Without the services of Vugar Gashimov, Azerbaijani look depleted but will still be the favourites on all four boards against India. For the crucial tie, India have decided to rest G N Gopal, and have brought in national champion B Adhiban, who will join the trio of Sasikiran, P Harikrishna and Surya Shekhar Ganguly.
Sasikiran has a tough job on hand as he meets a rejuvenated Shakhriyar Mamedyarov while Harikrishna will face Teimour Radjabov. Ganguly stands the best chance of turning the tables as he meets Rauf Mamedov, who has already lost one game. On the fourth board, Adhiban will have to tackle Gadir Guseinov.
In the women Olympiad being held simultaneously, the Indian eves will start as favourites against Italy. Out-of-form Nisha Mohota has been dropped because of his failure to win against weaker opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in