Indian men get ready for Azerbaijan test in Chess Olympiad
Khanty Mansiysk: In what would be their second biggest test here, Indian men are set to take on Azerbaijan in the sixth round of the 39th chess Olympiad.
Barring a 3-1 loss to Russia, the Krishnan Sasikiran-led team has done well to win four matches and, at the half-way stage, stands joint fifth with eight points.
Hungary, Armenia and Georgia are in joint lead with 10 points from five matches, while Ukraine and Holland share the joint fourth spot with nine points apiece. India share the next spot with nine other teams.
Without the services of Vugar Gashimov, Azerbaijani look depleted but will still be the favourites on all four boards against India. For the crucial tie, India have decided to rest G N Gopal, and have brought in national champion B Adhiban, who will join the trio of Sasikiran, P Harikrishna and Surya Shekhar Ganguly.
Sasikiran has a tough job on hand as he meets a rejuvenated Shakhriyar Mamedyarov while Harikrishna will face Teimour Radjabov. Ganguly stands the best chance of turning the tables as he meets Rauf Mamedov, who has already lost one game. On the fourth board, Adhiban will have to tackle Gadir Guseinov.
In the women Olympiad being held simultaneously, the Indian eves will start as favourites against Italy. Out-of-form Nisha Mohota has been dropped because of his failure to win against weaker opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender